Fly fishers shape the world of fly fishing with their stories, journeys, and friendships. This website is our shared journey of science and research applied to fly fishing. We hope our explorations and insights will contribute to your fly fishing enjoyment -- and to your stories and friendships.
Our current research projects:
- Spey-O-Rama, the World Chamiponship of Spey casting, took place on April 21-22, 2018 at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club in San Francisco.
- Bob Pauli's unique and thoughtful perspectives on fly fishing, two-handed rods, and a wide range of other topics in an interview with the California Fly Fisher.
- Spey-O-Rama (world championship of spey casting) -- competitors and results for 2011
- Bob Pauli's updated spey casting instruction booklet -- Fresh, accurate, and readable introduction to spey casting. Free download, English and Spanish editions.
- Steelhead weight formula -- now based on meticulous measurements of 115 steelhead, both bucks and hens from many different Pacific Northwest rivers. Includes information about formula accuracy and sources of variation by individual, by gender, and by river. Includes explanation of our original formula (weight = length * girth2 / 690) and an improved formula which adjusts for the systematic differences in girth taper associated with fat and thin fish.
- River reference card -- Key results from this website summarized in a small card for ready reference on the river.
- Sink tip research center
- Our article on estimating fish weight is now available in the May 2008 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine. Click here for the fish-weight look-up table referenced in the article or simply use our on-line fish weight calculator.
- Our article, "Ruling Your Fly Depth," (Fly Fisherman Magazine, December 2007) is now available as a free download.
Based your requests, we have completed an in-depth analysis of spey casting techniques for distance -- illustrated by tournament casting videos
of Gordon Armstrong -- one of the world's finest long-distance spey casters.
Based on your requests, we have completed an in-depth comparison of several tapered sink tips
, including VersiLeaders (Rio) and PolyLeaders (Airflo).
We encourage others with fly fishing insights or questions consistent with our research-based mission to let us know by e-mail.